With buckets and spades at the ready, take to the beach and explore rock pools, go kayaking on the river or simply sink into the outside hot tub overlooking the sun-splashed estuary. Here are our top tips for a great summer staycation....
Whether you’re looking for rest and relaxation or excitement and adventure, you’ll find them all in Fowey. Our hotel offers the opportunity to step it up or down a gear and make the most of the summer school holidays.
Top 10 tips for a great summer staycation:
1. Avoid the traffic and set off early or later in the day. Where possible, avoid travelling in the middle of the day on a Saturday.
2. Let children pack their own bag for the journey with their favourite toys, books and games – a bit of screen time is ok too! Audio books are also a firm favourite – Harry Potter or Roald Dahl’s BFG are fantastic!
3. Be prepared for any weather – pack for all seasons as the Cornish weather can be very changeable –always keep a coat in the car – at least there are no luggage weight restrictions to worry about and we can help unload it all when you arrive!
4. On sunny days, head for the nearby beaches for sandcastle-building and paddling – take a picnic and beach towels from Reception who can also give you some recommendations for beaches off the beaten track – you’ll find them much less crowded.
5. If the weather lets you down –don’t let the rain stop play just grab your coat and wellies and go rock-pooling–you can always warm up later with a hot chocolate!
6. Enjoy the great outdoors and explore simple pleasures - try flying kites on the beach or crabbing from the town quay.
7. Have a good wet weather plan – go for a swim, check out Fowey aquarium, have a history tour at Lanhydrock House, visit the Eden biomes. Make sure you ask at Reception for recommendations – they will have some great ideas!
8. Make time for you. Book a spa treatment and the creche at the same time – so you get time out and your little ones have a blast with fun activities in the creche.
9. Take time away from technology for a day and just LIVE in the moment.
10. During your trip get your little ones to collect items to make a travel journal with shells from the beach, a leaflet from their best day out or a receipt from a favourite meal.
Whatever you choose to do this summer - just have fun!